Saturday, May 1, 2010

Wait for it......... House Rules


Jodi Picoult is known for writing about topics that make us all wonder what we would do? I have only read one of her books, My Sister's Keeper. I read that book, cover to cover, and while I was kept captive for the entire thing, I was a little disappointed with the end. Then I thought, "Is that the point?" Was the point of her book to make us think of a topic that would have us in knots over what we would do, versus what "that" mother did... only for the ending to.... well....... I don't want to spoil it? Point of the matter is this...... I am now reading House Rules. It's a relatively "thick" book, and so far I am less than 100 pages in. Here is what I know.

The story is centred around an autistic young adult, Jacob. He is 18 and living with Asperger's. Similar to My Sister's Keeper, the "chapters" are basically each character in the book's perspective on what is happening at the moment. A quick side track - I thought that I didn't like this style, but I do. In fact, I REALLY appreciate it. It's very interesting how each person has such differing perspectives; Bravo Jodi! Jacob has a younger brother, Theo who is truly affected by his brother. Mom (Emma) is a single mom after her husband decided he couldn't’t deal with their family’s situation. More to come I promise!

This story seems near to my heart. I personally have a great friend with a young son who is autistic. She is brave and she is amazing with her son. I recently attended a gala in support of this cause; so little funding is available for research and to assist families with autistic children. Perhaps this book will help raise some awareness.

I find the story quite compelling so far... stay tuned... I think this book may just be a winner!!

No comments:

Post a Comment