Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Bold Face Names


I read an article about Shinan Govani in Toronto Life a few months ago, and thought... what an interesting guy, and a Torontonian!! I was impressed at his wit and also found he was a pretty interesting guy... but aside from that, I didn’t really know much about him, nor did I really remember him, or follow his column or anything. Talk about coincidence!

As you know, my good friend, “the Librarian” leant me a number of books that I am in the midst of reading while she travels (remind me in my second life that the summer off is totally worth the crazy stress of being a teacher!)... Bold Face Names was one in the bag she left for me. I chose this (I have chosen 9 books total) because of its quick synopsis on the back cover... I thought... looks like a fun, quick read. One that doesn’t have a depressing storyline, and also a book that I could read and enjoy without feeling like a small bit of my intelligence just died!

Turns out – yes – it was written by Shinan... wonder if I can call him that? Anyhow... Shi is a great author... I have to say, I like his style... it’s easy to follow and a fun little read. This book won’t provide you with a different outlook on the world and will not introduce you to any overly profound thoughts... but it’s a great read and a good tale. I wonder if there are THAT many stars trotting around Toronto on a daily basis? What I do believe is that people invite “gossip” columnists to their parties with the expectation that they will be mentioned. Yes. Great read, especially for the summer!

PS - You will love it when "Mummy" calls to check in on him! Reminded me of a few old friends' parents... sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment