Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Details, details...


The Archivist is a great book. Simply put. It really is. I started reading this book and wasn't sure if I would enjoy it. I must have been about 40 pages in, and yep... I knew that I had to keep reading. Not to go too far off topic, but I have a slight neurosis myself... that is, I HAVE to finish reading what I pick up. I am trying to get better at this though; since come on... I want to ENJOY what I am reading. My rule of late has been to get through the first 65 pages. If at that point, I cannot go on, I am forced to put the book down. It doesn't mean that I might not start it again, but I need to move on. The "spirit" isn't there... and I want to be in the right mindset when I read a book. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was one where I hung in there... past the first 50 pages... and, "BAM!" I was hooked. I think it is fair to say, The Archivist didn't take me too many pages. The book is well written. Throughout it, I didn't know if I should feel worse for Matt or for Judith. I wondered about their relationship. I LOVED that the poetry so perfectly matched the emotions that went through the characters. It is a thought provoking book that hints of a romance, yet speaks of ultimate sacrifice and love. It talks about all the things you aren't supposed to at a fancy dinner party... sex, politics and religion. Etiquette manuals/articles everywhere will tell you to avoid these topics... but in a fictional setting, these topics are anything, but inappropriate! Great read!!

No comments:

Post a Comment