Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh left little to wonder about...


Wow. Michael Chabon's, The Mysteries of Pittsburgh confused me, intrigued me, and at times left me with my mouth gaping open in shock. While it had many twists and turns, like a curvy woman in a low-cut dress that is two sizes too small, there really wasn't much left to the imagination. I asked myself whether or not this was an appropriate high school student read (remember... this came from a high school library)... and then realized that it was published in the late '80s and I am a 62-year old, trapped as a 34-year old... so I am sure that it's not too racy for teenagers.

There were a couple of different plots within the book, but the focus was really around Art Bechstein, the main character. This guy struggled so much with his identity, his father's identity and the loss of his mother at such a young age, that his actions truly spoke louder than the words on the page. Wow. Is that the second time I am saying this? Yes.

Worth a read... but if you're an old woman like me, brace yourself... lots of sex and lots of "okaaaaaaay" moments. You may be left saying more than "wow," but you will definitely be surprised as each moment within the book unravels. Enjoy! 2 books down -- what, whaaat?!

No comments:

Post a Comment